The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/god-i-love-it-when-you-put-words-in-my-mouth-30270504.aspx

Subject:  Re: A learning curve Date:  9/19/2012  4:39 AM
Author:  RaptorD2 Number:  40717 of 41627

god, I love it when you put words in my mouth, kelbon. Literally, no less. You're planting apples and selling oranges.

You: As a real world example, imagine you bought Wal-Mart for its dividend yield at $45 a share and over a couple of years it rose to $73 a share, which it has. If you sell your Wal-Mart shares you can take your profits and now buy shares in a company whose dividend is yielding considerably more than Wal-Mart's is at the current stock price. [emphasis mine]

Me: What the yield is on WMT today makes no difference for your original investment, period. If you wanted an 8% return, then you shouldn't have bought Wally.

You: ~"Earn more because you have cap gains to invest." [paraphrased]

Me: Agreed, but that isn't what you were talking about in your post that I responded to, is it.

We can disagree every day, it's fine by me, that's how we learn. But let me make my own arguments if you please. :)

Dan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us