The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-go-to-recipes-change-frequently-lately-i-have-30272075.aspx

Subject:  Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date:  9/19/2012  7:15 PM
Author:  1DEG Number:  5440 of 5657

My go to recipes change frequently. Lately I have been making a lot of caramelized tofu and avocado sushi.

Press sushi and cut into strips about 1/4 in x 1/4 in. by 4 inches (or the length of your tofu block) Pan sear until browned on all sides. Mix up a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a tablespoon or so of water. Add to the pan and toss the tofu until all of the soy sauce mixture is absorbed or coats the tofu. Let cool.

Make your favorite recipe of sushi rice. Put about 1/2 cup rice on a piece of nori and spread out. Lay two strips of tofu so that it makes a line the length of your nori. Lay down some avocado slices. Roll with a sushi mat and cut into slices.

It's also very nice with some shitake mushrooms or shredded carrot thrown in as well.

I also love tofu bahn mi sandwiches. I use seasoned baked tofu from Trader Joe's to make this a really quick meal, but you could use whatever tofu you want. Thinly slice cucumbers and carrots. Pickle in rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring periodically to make sure everything is covered. Drain. Get some nice french bread and make it all toasty. Slice in half, and put a little mayo on one side.Put tofu, some of your pickle mixture, some cilantro, and some thinly sliced jalapeno pepper. Enjoy.

It's been hot here, so the only things that I can think to eat are cold or room temp foods like that. In a few weeks when the weather turns cool I will switch to my cool weather go to meals like sweet potato peanut soup and Indian creamed eggplant. But for now, i can't even think about those.

DEG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us