The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Rollover OUT of Roth, INTO State Pension Pla Date:  9/20/2012  4:54 AM
Author:  gdett2 Number:  70925 of 88502


First, I nothing specifically about what you are asking to do.

I am going to guess the thing you want to put money into is organized, tax wise, as a trad IRA/401K/403B or similar structure. They have pre-tax contributions, all are taxed as ordinary income on withdrawal and are subject to RMDs when you reach 70 1/2.

Roth IRAs/Roth 401Ks are not eligible for pre-tax contributions, are tax free for withdrawals and are not subject to RMDs.

The two systems are authorized by completely separate legislation and have nothing in common.

In general, the Roth accounts are considered the top-line accounts. That is why you seem the movement options going to them not out of them. For me, a Roth is a clear winner.

You can call the IRS, they may be able to explain it, but they are not law makers. That is up to the 535 plus 1.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us