The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-wife-and-i-are-both-public-teachers-in-ca-in-30273036.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rollover OUT of Roth, INTO State Pension Pla Date:  9/20/2012  10:21 AM
Author:  JLC Number:  70929 of 76090

My wife and I are both public teachers in CA, in our mid-40's and decided that our Roth IRA funds would be better invested by purchasing service credit toward our CA State Teacher's Retirement system plan.

I would be careful about putting all or almost all of my eggs in one basket. Especially since both of you work for the same employer.

Right now, what I read about CA is that it has massive budgetary problems. I wouldn't be so sure that in 10-15 years CA retirement pensions aren't cut. Who is to say that CA doesn't file for bankruptcy or defaults? Everything gets cut 20-40%? Who knows?

I would be looking to see if you can get a lump sum payment at retirement. But thats just me. I'd rather have my money in my grubby little hands as opposed to someone elses.

JLC
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us