The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bill-thank-you-for-your-patient-teasing-out-of-30275941.aspx

Subject:  Re: Term Certain Annuitization - Inherited Annui Date:  9/21/2012  3:52 PM
Author:  BaumgrenzeJohn Number:  116653 of 121219

Bill,

Thank you for your patient teasing out of the text I needed to see. Thank you, too, for the pointed questions.

I think this is pretty straightforward:

Single Term Certain Annuity for 5 Years
Provides annuitant an income for 5 years. If death occurs before payments have been made for 5 years, payments continue to the beneficiary at the same income amount for the balance of the 5 year guarantee period.

It takes a bit of 'reading between the lines' but I believe that electing annuitization involves a Section 1035 exchange. This implies that any other provider of a comparable annuity is a candidate to provide for the annuitization, but that the beneficiaries need to be alert to the financial soundness of the underlying insurer and the attentiveness of their state insurance department. In any case, they need to ask questions about commissions, etc. involved with the exchange.

My, this has been quite an education. Thanks again for everyone's participation.

baumgrenze
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us