The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in California

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-recognize-the-need-for-organized-labor-to-deal-30277370.aspx

Subject:  Re: Prop 32 Date:  9/22/2012  3:11 PM
Author:  wecoguy Number:  12708 of 12880

I recognize the need for organized labor to deal collectively with unscrupulous corporations, but somehow some stuff is outawhack.

Agreed, none of it is perfect, in my own group, I kept pushing for more awareness of the technology, how we were using it, and that top leaders should be looking for engaging, using tech to spread the word, stay in touch with the membership, a simple web page turned into a stone wall if I wanted to do it with the National's blessings, so I did my own, externally, but that wasn't the point, they needed to know what the members worked on, understand the issues...

There has to be a check and balance, neither side can be let run wild.... One Ive been watching is the prison guards, likely one of the deadliest jobs around. We recently went on a private tour of San Quentin, as my FIL had been a foreman there, was murdered by an inmate 20 years ago.. Those guards are all business, attentive every minute of every day, know the balance of gangs, their job, and dealing with management... But they've also boosted their pay scale way up there, somehow it needs to be moderated, but don't kill the Unions. Imagine a non-union workplace like that, favorites getting the soft jobs, the rest left to deal with the population as best they can... Not a fun place at all... Literal backstabbing at all levels...

There are no easy answers, but killing the Unions is not in any of them...

weco
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us