The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / 3D Systems

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-a-note-here-on-why-stocks-and-the-stock-30278023.aspx

Subject:  Re: DDD Date:  9/22/2012  6:29 PM
Author:  colleran Number:  56 of 497

Just a note here on why stocks and the stock market go up and down. Every night I watch the PBS Newhour and they tell me, like all the other news shows, why the stock market went up or down. They say, for instance, that the market went down because of bad unemployment numbers. Other times they say that the market went up DESPITE bad unemployment numbers.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason stocks go up is always because there was more buying that day than selling. And vice versa. Why? Who knows?

The same is often true of growth stocks like DDD. They go up and down a lot. For the most part we don't know why. You must decide whether a company is going to grow over time or not. Unless something material happens, you just have to learn to hold on through the ups and downs.

I have owned IPGP for a number of years. It has gone way up and way down in that time (just look at their price chart). I am convinced that the company has an excellent technology and is well run. I am staying with them unless something material changes. I expect to own the stock for many years. The same is true for DDD.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us