The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Hockey Fans Board

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/let-me-quess-its-the-life-story-of-brad-30281897.aspx

Subject:  Re: Goon Date:  9/25/2012  9:58 AM
Author:  TMFHelical Number:  37016 of 39758

let me quess it's the life story of
Brad Marchant!!!

No, Marchant is an instigator, not an enforcer. That role on the current Bruins is filled by Shawn Thornton. Instigators try to get the other team to take stupid penalties (often in retailiation). Teams with great power plays (Vancouver for example) use instigators to get an advantage. The Gretzsky led Oilers were famous for goading teams into penalties, though they were often satisfied with corresponding penalties resulting in 4 on 4s (thus a rule change). The 'enforcer' is ironically the one who often takes the penalty, as the role is to protect the teammates (especially the goalie) from cheap shots from instigators.

I had thought that Marchant's instigation was a problem, as the team did not have a great power play and was very solid 5 on 5. But, the Bruins clearly lacked a spark last year after Marchant got reigned in by the league. Many point to the Tim Tomas political issues, but I think the Marchant suspension was more a factor.

Ralph
Helical Investor
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us