The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada (General)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/satcom-solutions-on-a320-30282056.aspx

Subject:  SATCOM solutions on A320 Date:  9/25/2012  11:05 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  63034 of 63837

This is really interesting to me as FLYHT (FLY.v) is the old AMA.v that I've been in and out of and watched for years. What I find odd is that there was no mention on either the L-3 or FLYHT websites? I suppose it takes time to put these things up. There has also not been much in the way of stock activity?

One of the problems in the airplane industry is that no major company wants to rely on a small company for installation, parts, maintenance and monitoring (can't say as I blame them).

L-3 has been a partners with FLY.v for small contracts for the US military special ops helos but having the two big boys (L-3 and Airbus) get together and sign an agreement is great news (I hope).

The Chinese government wants all their commercial aircraft with SATCOM solutions as well.

Tim

http://www.avionics-intelligence.com/articles/2012/09/l3-avi...

L-3 Aviation Recorders to certify, provide SATCOM solutions on A320 aircraft

September 25, 2012

By Courtney Howard

SARASOTA, Fla., 25 Sept. 2012. Engineers at L-3 Aviation Recorders will certify and deliver FLYHT Aerospace Solutions Ltd.’s AFIRS 228S real-time data communications and satellite communication (SATCOM) solution for installation on the Airbus A320 family of aircraft.

The data and satellite communications system provides Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) capability and SATCOM voice connectivity via the Iridium network.

“In conjunction with an onboard L-3 flight recorder, FLYHT has already demonstrated FDR data and aircraft position streaming on in-service aircraft. The addition of the ACARS, using Iridium and communications services, makes this a very practical solution for our customers,” says Mike Smith, president of L-3 Aviation Recorders.

The AFIRS 228S will be offered under FLYHT’s global Value Added Reseller (VAR) agreement with Iridium.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us