The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Low Carb Way of Life

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/made-my-own-greek-yogurt-30283876.aspx

Subject:  Made My Own Greek Yogurt Date:  9/26/2012  8:15 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  29903 of 30457

I have a very simple yogurt cheese maker that has frankly been sitting in my cabinet unused for years. I'm not a huge fan of yogurt cheese, though I may start trying some cheesecake recipes with it again. IIRC, it cost me about $5, and was similar to this: http://www.fantes.com/manuals/mikes-yogurt-cheese-maker-funn... There are more expensive models out there.

I much prefer greek yogurt to regular yogurt, and it is lower in carbs as well. I'm less thrilled about the high price of it though. I also would like more options in terms of fat content, as the marketers seem to think that if you eat yogurt you must be trying to avoid fat. So I picked up a quart of "european style" yogurt from Trader Joes, a yogurt that supposedly is a bit thicker than regular yogurt already, for $2.99. Their same size of greek yogurt is $4.99

I simply put the yogurt in the funnel and let the whey drip out. I processed the quart in two batches, due to the size limitation of my yogurt cheese maker. My time involvement was minimal at best. After draining to an approximate greek yogurt texture, I weighed what was left of the solids, and found that I now had 22oz instead of the original 32 oz. No doubt some of what was lost was solids that got left behind on the funnel and on other tools, but about a third of the volume was drainage. A quick calculation showed that I saved only about $0.02/oz doing this myself, if I ignored my limited amount of time spent making it. So compared to a 320z greek yogurt at $4.99, I would spend $0.64 less per container. Our family consumes 2-3 quarts per week, and while the savings is not huge, it adds up.

More important than this small savings is that I can now control how much whey I leave in, though of course draining more whey will increase the price per ounce. I can control the fat content, raising it easily if so desired. I had previously used fat free greek yogurt to make onion dip for my son, who did not even notice the lack of sour cream, though I confess I did. I would imagine it would be even better with whole fat greek yogurt.

IP,
just reaching the bottom of her homemade greek yogurt with walnuts, chia, pomegranate SF syrup and pomegranate seeds
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us