The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/depends-upon-local-law-and-your-position-in-ca-by-30285419.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ethical Question Date:  9/26/2012  8:17 PM
Author:  JonathanRoth Number:  48980 of 49426

Depends upon local law and your position. In CA by state law non-compete clauses below the executive level is pretty much irrelevant. My current employer basically says if you leave to work for a client they'll hate you forever, that's about all they can do in CA. You may wish to contact a local labor lawyer to learn about your alternatives.

It also depends upon your ability to get references from a superior who BTW doesn't currently have to be with the company. When does the 1 year end? Is the new company willing to wait? How many companies are there in your field in your local area? How well intertwined are the people in your area and in your industry, i.e. will word get around?

Personally, I think these are the key points:

From a career perspective I should not, from a life perspective I should.

the job would be less challenging than my current one and I would inevitably get sucked in to internal politics, which I hate.

How important is it to you to not hate going to work?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us