The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-are-horrified-at-ticket-prices-who-wouldnt-30287511.aspx

Subject:  Re: NYC shows Date:  9/27/2012  7:17 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  18935 of 23110

We are horrified at ticket prices.

Who wouldn't be? Book of Mormon is especially bad since it's in a relatively small house, so they are agressivelly managing their prices, somewhat akin to the airlines. I was, I felt, fortunate to get a $158 ticket fourth row center mezzanine (my favorite location for such a show) in November for the last Sunday in January.

Someone has mentioned the TKTS booths, and that's definitely a good way to go. I'm just back from a quick 48 hours in NYC, and we got tickets there Tuesday night for $42.00 a pop to See "Grace," a straight play starring Paul Rudd and Ed Asner (plus two actors much better known for their stage work). A couple of things. Tuesday night was the start of Yom Kippur, and the show is in previews. The seats were nosebleed, but it's in a house built for straight plays, and with competent performers (all four were), you miss nothing.

I would definitely check out the South Street Seaport booth rather than the Times Square one. When I was spending a week a month in NYC for 5 years, that booth was in the North Tower of the World Trade center, which was right across the street from the office. I'd go by every afternoon and pick up a ticket for something. Hardly any line ever.

You asked about Off Broadway. Some terrific stuff, and much of it is also available at TKTS. Definitely read up and make a list of possible shows before you go. And forget about things like Lion King that are built for tourists anyway.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us