The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks F / Ford Motor Company

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-been-out-of-running-for-decades-and-i-doubt-30290442.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: I Did It! Date:  9/29/2012  1:31 PM
Author:  TMFBreakerRob Number:  17188 of 18123

I've been out of running for decades, and I doubt I could make much of a comeback. The last full marathon I ran was in 1972. (3:40 at age 16) A lot has happened to the old body since then, much of it as a result of the constant pavement pounding from those days.

I tried to prepare for a local marathon the last couple of years. Possibly just part of a relay, or doing half. I just can't get the mind excited about it enough to be serious. I know I'd have to lose 40 pounds, and I'd never be competitive, even in my age class.
-- HMALETTER

I'm a little bit older than you (recently turned 59 1/2) and am seriously overweight as well. I peaked at 248#, had a significant weight loss as I recovered from cancer surgery and am now down to 228. I'd like to get down to 214 by the end of the year, which would drop my BMI below 30.... and probably help with the overall running effort as well. LOL Eventually, I'd like to be around 180 or so, so there's another goal.

For me, it's the goals of longer distances, better times, better race results (I've only been in two).... and ultimately, losing that weight and getting in overall better shape. Those final goals are what keeps me motivated.... and it helps that my daughter and son-in-law are runners. Heck, he just ran a 30K this morning as a "tune-up" for an upcoming marathon. Hahaha....I'll NEVER be competitive with him (he averaged 6:10/mile). And I'm pretty sure I'll never be competitive in my age group... unless I outlive everybody, but it's about meeting my goals, not necessarily beating everybody in the race.

Of course.... I placed 9598 out of 10861 at this year's Flying Pig half marathon..... and I figure I can do a whole lot better next year, so I wouldn't be truthful if I said the competition meant nothing. ;)

Rob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us