The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/frydaze1-you-keep-saying-that-as-if-im-suddenly-30292213.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date:  9/30/2012  11:33 PM
Author:  rev2217 Number:  183049 of 195081

Frydaze1,

You keep saying that, as if I'm suddenly going to agree with you.

In case you have not figured it out, it does not matter whether you agree with me or not. Natural Law is a universal moral standard deduced from the order of the universe that does not depend upon either your opinion or mine.

Even without religion, morality is subjective because humans are subjective.

That's like saying that the Pythagorean Theorem is subjective because humans are subjective or like saying that the Law of Gravity is subjective because humans are subjective. Such a statement is obviously fallacious.

Second, I don't agree with you that Natural Law is universal. Or even that it is correct.

The fact that we disagree is, in fact, proof that morality isn't universal. And also proof that it is subjective.

Or it may be proof that somebody is dwelling in utter ignorance of absolute truth.

Back up a step. Suppose that some schmuck who had not studied mathematics were to claim that the Pythagorean Theorem is not true. Would you say that the fact that he disagrees is, in fact, proof that the Pythagorean Theorem is not universal and that it is subjective?

Norm.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us