The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Ask A Foolish Question


Subject:  Re: 401k Date:  10/1/2012  9:56 AM
Author:  trader2012 Number:  259368 of 278313

The general advice which I agree with is

(1) to contribute to your 401k up to get the maximum employer contribution,
(2) then contribute to a Roth IRA if eligible to its max,
(3) then continue contributing to the 401k,
(4) and then to a taxable account.


That's an excellent summary of the allocation steps, way better than what I said, that puts a would-be investor into a good position to maximize his/her capital appreciation with the least present (and maybe future) impact from taxes.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us