The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-case-you-have-not-figured-it-out-it-does-not-30292922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date:  10/1/2012  12:55 PM
Author:  Frydaze1 Number:  183062 of 196927

In case you have not figured it out, it does not matter whether you agree with me or not. Natural Law is a universal moral standard deduced from the order of the universe that does not depend upon either your opinion or mine.
That's like saying that the Pythagorean Theorem is subjective because humans are subjective or like saying that the Law of Gravity is subjective because humans are subjective. Such a statement is obviously fallacious.
Back up a step. Suppose that some schmuck who had not studied mathematics were to claim that the Pythagorean Theorem is not true. Would you say that the fact that he disagrees is, in fact, proof that the Pythagorean Theorem is not universal and that it is subjective?

But it DOES matter. Gravity and Pythagorean Theorem apply to me whether I believe in them or not. Morality, in order to be universal, has to be MY morality also. And it isn't. Therefore it isn't universal.

Is Christianity universal? No. Proof? I'm not Christian. Putting the word "Law" on the end of the concept does not actually make it a law. In fact, even being a law doesn't make something universal (traffic laws, for example).

And since you seem to be the only one on this board who feels that Natural Law actually contains the correct version of morality, that's proof that it isn't universal.

But let's just run with your Natural Law thing for a moment. In nature, there is homosexuality. Many animals do it. Clearly, therefore, homosexuality is moral. I can't argue with that logic... but you will. Which means that even YOU don't believe in Natural Law. If *no one* on this board believes in it, I'd say there's no way to call it universal.

Frydaze1
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us