The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/or-lets-try-it-a-different-way-name-one-30293084.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date:  10/1/2012  1:58 PM
Author:  Frydaze1 Number:  183074 of 196946

Or let's try it a different way:

Name one universal moral. It has to be something that is always true under all circumstances. (I can think of a few that *I* think qualify. But there will be people who disagree even with those.)

The problem is that it doesn't matter how universally true you think it is. There will be others who are equally convinced that you're wrong. And you don't have any authority to say yours is the right way and theirs is the wrong way. None. "Because my god says your god is wrong" is pointless. They'll say the same thing, but in reverse.

Natural law? That certainly won't hold up here. I believe rape is wrong under all circumstances. I believe killing your newborn is wrong under all circumstances. I believe killing your mate after voluntary sex is wrong. I believe that kicking the weakest out to starve and die is wrong. I can probably go on all day with a list of things I think are wrong... but which we see examples of in the animal kingdom. So if that's "universal morality" we're screwed.

Actually, I might take it back. There are no universal morals among animals. You will always find exceptions to any behavior. Therefore, since there is no morality in nature, I agree that this is, in fact, universal morality. IOW: Natural Law is an accurate guide to morality because it proves that there is no such thing except as an artificial human construct.

Universal morality is lack of morality. Thank you, Natural Law, for helping me prove this.

Frydaze1
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us