The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-eat-more-than-a-couple-of-servings-of-30293087.aspx

Subject:  Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date:  10/1/2012  1:58 PM
Author:  lcd186 Number:  5446 of 5626

I don't eat more than a couple of servings of rice a week anyway, so i honestly haven't changed anything. But I have heard that rice grown in Asia or California is less likely to have arsenic since the pest the arsenic is used to control is exclusive to the Southern part of the US and mostly attacks cotton fields. Don't know if that's an option for you. I live in California, so rice grown here is easy for me to come by.

Hello DEG, good point. I looked at the 10 lb. bag of brown rice I have now and it is simply marked that it was produced in the U.S.A., no specific region. I looked at my local supermarket and right now, all the brands I looked at seemed marked the same, as in just "U.S.A." and no specific region.

For the lack of any reference, I think I am going to have to assume all such marked brands are from the Southern US, unless I see it being marked from a specific region otherwise.

Never thought I'd say this--but maybe switch to white rice. Also, I wonder if the instant brown rice is soaked first.....

LOL! After I spent almost a year getting used to, and finally enjoying, brown rice! Frankly, white rice is much cheaper. And as long as I am eating lots of fresh vegetables with it possibly the nutritional benefits I hope to gain from brown rice are negligible.

Thanks all,
Lois Carmen D.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us