The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/while-i-dont-see-us-moving-to-a-place-like-this-30294506.aspx

Subject:  Re: CCRC Date:  10/2/2012  9:07 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  17862 of 19483

While I don't see us moving to a place like this anytime soon, we gave a $1K deposit and got on the waiting list. It sure is strange thinking about things like this, but I guess it makes sense if you can afford it, and we have enough money, so why not at least keep it as a reasonable option for later years.

When my father died 10 years ago there was lunch at the church I grew up in after the cemetery. I was talking with the lunch coordinator, whom I've known my entire life. He was telling me that they had just moved into independent living in a complex such as you describe. I'd estimate he was in his mid 70's. My response was, "Your children will thank you." Not long ago I sent his widow a condolence note.

Of all the coulda woulda shoulda's as I look back on my parents' latter years, the biggest is "I wish they'd gotten out of that house while they still could adjust." We were lucky that they had enough money that we we able to hire enough help to get them to their dirt naps from home. Just barely.

Your children, if you have any, will thank you for keeping this option open.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us