The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-mother-went-to-an-independent-living-facility-30295249.aspx

Subject:  Re: CCRC Date:  10/2/2012  1:24 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  17865 of 19256

My mother went to an independent living facility. She enjoyed the activities and the social aspects. Too many stay in their homes to long. When you get to an age where driving is difficult and your friends also find it difficult to travel, you would be better off to be in independent living.

Homeowners should sell their homes and move. They can almost break even by investing their equities. Plus you save on taxes, insurance, and the services like lawn care and housecleaning etc, that you otherwise pay for.

Most would be better off to move to independent living younger. Then they can better enjoy activities. And there are those who have cars and golf and go on vacation. But you don't have to worry about meals and housekeeping.

Independent living at the place my mom chose had only two rules. 1) You had to be able to find the exits in a fire alarm without assistance. 2) Meals were cafeteria style. You had to go through the line (but assistance was available for extra cost.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us