The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-addition-to-our-pensions-etc-and-assuming-a-30295494.aspx

Subject:  Re: Math please? Date:  10/2/2012  2:54 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  17870 of 19257

In addition to our pensions etc, and assuming a 4% withdrawal rate for the next 20 years, exactly how much capital do we need in our IRA etc to add another $45,000 a year to what we will be getting?

$1.125 million. (45,000 / .04)

I do remember he has $20,000 a year in his calculations for travel, and only stops that at 85 yrs old in the budget. How did he choose that random age I wonder? Is he going to push my wheelchair? Or am I pushing his?

My parents' last independent trip was when they came to my place for Christmas when they were 85. The KC airport was no problem. They drove up to the skycaps, got rid of the luggage, then parked the car and got the shuttle to the terminal. Changing planes in Chicago was no problem with pre-arranged wheelchair assists. I met them at the gate in Baltimore and, with the help of two skycaps and two wheelchairs, got their luggage and them to my car. It was pre-9/11 days, so when they left the gate agent wheeled one and I the other onto the plane. I still remember saying to myself as I watched the plane take off, "It's United Airlines's problem now." The big tripping point was when they got back to KC and couldn't find anyone to help them with their luggage. They still traveled a lot after that, but always with someone who could handle the mechanics.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us