The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-beginning-to-think-that-you-felt-there-was-30295655.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date:  10/2/2012  3:49 PM
Author:  benjd25 Number:  183157 of 195761

I was beginning to think that you felt there was *really* something *wrong* with raping little girls.

Seriously? Since someone else thinks the nature of morality is different you get to classify it as not *really* thinking it's *wrong*?

Let me turn it around and see what you think about how it reads:

Interesting. So it seems for you, morality boils down to following an authority's preference. Like one who follows a chef's preference on chocolate or vanilla, you follow in preferring no rape to rape. "Morality" has no more meaning or weight than that.

I will say that you are at least consistent with a theist view. I was beginning to think that you felt there was *really* something *wrong* with raping little girls. But as you explain, you don't delude yourself into thinking there is something subjective (like little girls' preference for not being raped) in following what the authority prefers.

Sure, you condemn any others that promote rape, but in your heart you know that if you discovered that the authority preferred the rape of little girls, that would make it OK.

Do I have it right?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us