The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-you-hate-christians-no-i-dont-i-know-30295960.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date:  10/2/2012  5:54 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  183161 of 196747

I know you hate Christians...

No I don't. I know lots of Christians. I'm even married to one. It would be fair to say I'm not fond of Christianity (or any religion, but on this board we mostly talk about Christianity), but that's different. I flat don't like JR and a few others, but I actually do like you and Lawrence and Bryan and Robyn and some others.

As for the action, Lot is held up as an exemplary person. He's the only one saved from the city before it is destroyed. It is therefore not unreasonable to infer his actions are deemed in some manner "good" (otherwise he would not have been spared).

Now if one takes into consideration that this is OT, and so very old, written in a society that did not particularly value women, it makes more sense**. But then the "divinely inspired" bit is in jeopardy (since that should be independent of the society, and you would hope it would be less misogynistic).

** The context is that the guests were under his "protection" as his guests, and in the society of 3000 years ago that likely would have superseded the value of the daughters.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us