The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Dividend Growth Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-owned-walgreens-since-1998-my-annual-rate-of-30297170.aspx

Subject:  Re: Walgreen (WAG) Date:  10/3/2012  10:56 AM
Author:  horacekgl Number:  7549 of 8754

I've owned Walgreens since 1998. My annual rate of return, which of course includes dividends, works out to be (drum roll please) -- 4.91%

Stinks is what best describes that rate of return. I generally do not keep such in my portfolio, but I guess inertia is a terrible thing.

Everyone says Walgreens is about to grow again, but they've been saying that for years now.

The problem with Walgreens is competition. It used to be the best of pharmacy chains, opening up stores daily nationwide. Now with all the choices (starting with Walmart) they are merely an over-priced convenience store that fills prescriptions. CVS, once presumed to be dead, is now the clear leader in this type of pharmacy -- becoming what Walgreens once was.

Walmart, Sam's, Costco are my preferred order of prescription fillers. But I'd probably go to Shopright (a supermarket chain here) as soon as I would go to Walgreens or CVS.

So Walgreens even fails the Lynch test for me.

Gotta make a note. Next rebalance Walgreens must go.

glh
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us