The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Words, Words, Words


Subject:  Re: What is it called? Date:  10/3/2012  2:02 PM
Author:  knighttof3 Number:  12645 of 14841

"I believe that's a billabong"

Thanks, that sounds about right. defines billabong as,

"a branch of a river flowing away from the main stream but leading to no other body of water; a blind or dead-end channel."

It seems I once heard it called something else, and I was trying to find that word, but for my purposes billabong will do fine.


That sounds the exact opposite to me.
The dictionary definition of billabong sounds like a distributary but instead of going to the sea it goes nowhere. Not at all like the diagram in your OP, where the sediment buildup has basically converted a fork in the river to a tributary of the river (assuming the new tributary is still fed by underground streams and such, otherwise it would dry up.)
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us