The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotin-retirement-my-parents-took-a-cruise-a-30297755.aspx

Subject:  Re: Assuming most of us here are boomers. Date:  10/3/2012  2:25 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  45747 of 59831

"In retirement, my parents took a cruise a year....and did other trips to foreign countries." - tele

Is it just me or am I the only one who doesn't think going on a cruise is/was all that fun? The TV commercials you see make it look like so much fun but the one cruise I took to Cancun/Cozumel -> Key West, and then back to Tampa, Florida was sort of boring. Especially when the ship was out at Sea. I guess I was expecting something more but the endless hours of being stuck at sea just weren't all that great. I was sort of bored.

"My parents ate out maybe once a week when retired.....and when we were growing up, we ate out once a year!" tele

And while I'm complaining.... What is the allure of going out to eat so often? Doesn't that get old too? I like to cook and actually prefer food I've cooked myself. Most of the time when I'm eating out I'm thinking to myself "I could do better." Especially Italian and Mexican food. I make tacos at home all the time. Easiest thing in the world. I put a whole lot more stuff on them too than most Mexican restaurants do. All kinds of onions, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, cilantro, etc.

My Spanish Rice is way better than their Spanish Rice too. I made some last night and it was delicious. I sauteed onions, peppers, finely diced carrot, and garlic, salt, in extra virgin olive oil and then added a big tablespoon of chili powder, paprika, and two tablespoons of tomato paste and then stirred in cooked long grain rice. It came out beautiful.

Artie
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us