The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/why-yes-my-kindle-does-save-me-money-30298297.aspx

Subject:  Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date:  10/3/2012  6:14 PM
Author:  LaraAmber Number:  867731 of 884567

Prompted by my new Kindle arriving today:

I've gotten some comments from people in Real Life about my Kindle being a "luxury" or something I only have because I like tech (uh, no I like to read). Since I'm a huge data person, I've been tracking what I've spent on the Kindles since I first got them. So here's the math.

Hardware Costs: $816.97
Kindle 2 $359
Kindle 2 Case $29.99
Kindle 3 & Case (Free, gift to husband from his family)
Kindle Touch $149
Kindle Touch Case $59.99
Kindle PaperWhite $179.00
Kindle PaperWhite Case $39.99

Cost of Books: $2,127.56

These seem like huge numbers, but it's actually a savings. I've read 311 books on my Kindles since February 2009 so average cost was $6.84 per book. I've saved through cheaper prices then the print copy, special deals (get it for $1 today, back to full price tomorrow), and borrowing books from the local library and Amazon Prime Lending Library. Before the Kindle I didn't even have a library card (other people's germs, scribbles, etc. no thanks). Before this I purchased hardback (larger type, ink less likely to come off on hands, books don't fall apart in one reading).

So books that would have cost me $15-$30 a copy, are now less than $7. I don't have to use any gas to go get books and I saving on sales tax (less even when I do need to pay on certain books).

So assuming $20 a hardback:

$6,220-$2,127.56-$816.67=$3,275.77 savings

If I don't include the hardware it's even better (since it probably saved me at least that much in not needing to purchase shelves). All the hardware is still getting used. My parents have taken the old Kindles and are still on my account, so they have been reading the books I buy as well (and hey, no shipping fees to send books across the country).

I could have had even bigger savings if I had gotten a library card sooner or picked up free versions of classic literature instead of buying them (get versions with working footnotes or better translations).

So yes, the Kindle is still saving me money and now has me back to using the library. Since I just started using the library and the Amazon Prime library last month, I expect even bigger savings by next year.

Lara Amber
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us