The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/picked-up-free-versions-of-classic-literature-30298305.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date:  10/3/2012  6:21 PM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  867734 of 883929

picked up free versions of classic literature instead of buying them (get versions with working footnotes or better translations).
I've found this makes a huge difference on the Kindle. I read a lot of classic literature in translation, and there are some things out there that are horrible, and some great. Some have notes and some don't. I've found it is often worth it paying the buck or two for the slightly nicer version than the totally free version, even for things centuries out of copyright.

On a related note I recently read The Iliad in my reading group and we all read different translations (some of us juggled several), for the heck of it. They ranged from unintelligible doggerel (Pope) to vibrant and earthy (Lombardo), to elegantly readable (Fagles). Amazing the variance! So too with the Kindle...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us