The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rm-the-difference-between-a-home-theater-and-a-30298470.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do You Own a Movie Collection? Date:  10/3/2012  8:08 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  9631 of 10469

RM:

The difference between a home theater and a home cinema is about a million dollars. That’s what my friend Simon did and that took stripping the room to the studs and building a 29 foot screen together with separate amps for each speaker and so on and expensively so on. It seats four in a room 40x60x16.

Cheapest was to make a home theater into a home cinema: buy an exit sign and hang it over a doorway.

Just for you, RM, since I don’t know exactly how many DVDs I have, I measured the shelves they’re on and it comes to 70 feet. At 20 DVDs a foot that’s about 1400 or so (give or take because there’s boxed sets in there). What can I say but I’m a hoarder – like books, I can’t throw them away. I should point out, however, almost all of the DVDs are pre-owed and not retail. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

I just read 1poorguy’s response and all I can say is there’s another reason for liking him: great choices in SF. Those are movies one just sits down at and has the sound and picture roll over you.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us