The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-did-move-the-mains-down-to-the-same-level-as-30300558.aspx

Subject:  Re: RM Needs a Center Speaker Date:  10/4/2012  4:10 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  9639 of 10535

I did move the mains down to the same level as the center (the cause of all the wiring problems), now they're all at about 3.5 feet off the floor. Before the mains were about 5.5 feet off the floor in line with the center of the TV.

But I had to let you know what I've been up to. I grilled DH last night and did get him to admit he was pretty pleased with the sound. I think the Atlantic Technology center meshes really well with my Boston Acoustics. Though I've not any real experience of how wrongly mated speakers would sound I didn't notice anything that really bugged me. I do think it sounds better with the volume a little louder than DH wanted it last night.

So now I wonder... how this AT center would sound with the matching AT mains (still available for $149 for the PAIR).... and putting the CR6s as the surrounds replacing DH's old Lafayette XL-44s.

RM

The mains were too high and were firing over the seats. Good move to drop them down. The only speakers that benefit from height are surrounds.

But for a center buy speakers in pairs. Solves a lot of problems with sonic matching. As for speaker cable get 18-gauge lamp wire from Radio Shack.

Up to you but I’d next buy the amp and use the existing speakers. The biggest change in your system is the amp replacement.

As for center volume I raised mine about 2dB relative to the mains. Did that when I used a sound meter to level speakers (before having an amp with YPAO) and it worked better.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us