The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bdhinton-my-sons-a-sophomore-in-college-at-an-30300864.aspx

Subject:  Re: What do you think? Date:  10/4/2012  6:34 PM
Author:  rev2217 Number:  183272 of 195879

bdhinton,

My son's a sophomore in college at an east-coast US university. Yesterday he was in the lounge area of one the academic buildings on campus, when a middle-aged woman with a heavy middle eastern accent and a briefcase chewed him out for having his feet propped up on the footrest (just like a bunch of other students), thus exposing the bottoms of his shoes to her.

She told him that he was disrespecting her culture, and that in her country he'd be killed for doing that, and demanded that he put his feet down.

What would you do?

Well, first, I probably would not be the student with his feet up on the table, as my parents did teach me better manners than that.

But, second, if such an incident were to occur, I probably would look her straight in the eye and tell her in no uncertain terms (1) that this is not the country from which she comes, (2) that she needs to respect our social customs whether she likes them or not for as long as she is here, and (3) that she is free to leave our country if she does not wish to respect our social customs.

And would you consider this a veiled threat?

No.

Norm.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us