The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/choices-2-and-3-are-based-on-a-single-life-30301097.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pension info to consider Date:  10/4/2012  8:48 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  71001 of 75890

Choices #2 and 3 are based on a single life annuity. We don't see the upside of choosing single life, since I am dependent on his income/savings. So those numbers would be lower with a 50, 75, or 100% joint and survivor annuity. On their web site, the calculator says a 100% j/s annuity payment at age 65 would be $500 a month.

I think you've got a typo here - either in the first or second sentence. One of those "single life" should be a "joint life" for this to make sense.

You might want to mention your age as well, since that can be a big factor in choosing a joint life payout vs. a single life payout.

The benefit for the joint annuity is all for you. If he were to choose a single life annuity, when he dies the annuity ends. So if he dies before you do, that income stream would stop. If the loss of that income would severely affect you in retirement, you would typically want to consider a joint annuity rather than a single. Rarely is the decision clear cut. When it is clear, it usually means one spouse is currently facing a life-threatening illness. And I don't think that is your situation.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us