The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Conservative Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-as-they-say-in-nfl-football-if-you-want-to-30301124.aspx

Subject:  Re: No doubt about it... Date:  10/4/2012  9:02 PM
Author:  waterfell Number:  106824 of 134964

But, as they say in NFL football, if you want to win the Superbowl, you don't want to peak too early.

My understanding that the most important interval in the debates is the first 60 minutes of the first debate. That's the point when the low information voter tunes out.
------------------------------------------------------

In this case, the Superbowl is played the first Tuesday in November. And by "peaking", I don't mean Romney's debating or campaigning skills, but rather in his ability to get people to vote for him. Regardless of a successful performance last night...(And I don't want to take anything away from Romney. He did a superb job.)... the Democrats still have a large election machine that knows how to get the vote out. I think Romney's 47% is too high of a number, but the point is made there are a great many people who are going to vote for Obama no matter who the media declares the winner of a particular debate.

In other words, this is no time to get overconfident. Fortunately, Romney doesn't come across as the kind of person who will go into cruise control after one successful debate. I am becoming more impressed that Romney really wants this, and wants it more than Obama.

- Pete
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us