The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/itunes-how-do-i-find-quotmissingquot-file-30301424.aspx

Subject:  iTunes -- how do I find "missing" file Date:  10/5/2012  12:55 AM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  61034 of 65466

When a file is missing or misplaced in iTunes, it shows up with an exclamation point next to its name in browser view. But that doesn't appear always to be the case, and often you have to try to play a file (in my case, a TV show) in order for iTunes to note that the file is missing or misplaced.

So, when I tried watching an old TV show, iTunes said the file was missing, and would I like to locate it and then based on that location allow iTunes to find other such missing files? I did so, found the missing file, and then iTunes said there are 31 other missing files that it couldn't locate.

What I want to know is, how do I find out what those missing files are?

Note that my question is not "how do I find the files on my disk?" Referencing a thread or two from some time ago, I have a large collection of media used by iTunes spread over several volumes (originating from the days when hard drives were less voluminous and more expensive), and I have my files organized hierarchically on disk in such a way that, if I know what files iTunes thinks are missing, I'd have a pretty simple time locating the original files.

So, restating my question, how do I figure out what files iTunes thinks it can't locate, when simply scrolling through the browser window doesn't seem to tell me what I want to know?

Thanks,
-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us