The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / New Paradigm Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-big-problem-i-see-with-algae-based-bio-fuel-is-30301794.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mention of OOIL Date:  10/5/2012  9:46 AM
Author:  captainccs Number:  63973 of 68624

The big problem I see with algae based bio fuel is that I have not seen reliable cost figures. Fuel is a commodity and if bio fuel can't compete with fossil fuel on a cost basis (tax benefits included) then it won't happen. I was very excited when OriginOil got an order from Australia for a pilot project. It has been at least a year and OriginOil has not reported on results which to me means failure (unless it is kept as a state top secret).

Germany is hydrocarbon fuel deficient. Conversion of coal to liquid fuels has never been shown to be cost competitive and Rentech (RTK) essentially abandoned it. I have not heard from Sasol, the African firm doing it for over a year, they had built some pilot plants in China. It seems to me that Germany is making the decision on a political basis, not on an economic one. I don't like that as a basis for investing (some people do, specially if they get subsidies ;).

I sold RTK a year and a half ago at a decent profit and I'm holding OOIL based on the cleanup potential of the technology, not for the bio fuel.

Denny Schlesinger
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us