The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/let-me-know-what-the-cost-differences-are-decath-30302128.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Costco adventure Date:  10/5/2012  11:22 AM
Author:  TMFHunzi Number:  647156 of 726020

let me know what the cost differences are decath and selection of items...I think I went once to Sam's club and once to BJ's.

I have memberships to both Sam's and Costco.

Where they carry the exact same item/same size, Sam's is usually slightly cheaper. Sam's also caters more to small businesses and has earlier hours. Costco however targets upper middle class families - if the item is similar but not exactly the same, I usually find the Costco item is better quality.

Also I once purchased and returned similar items to each store (on the same day - looking at flooring samples), Costco made the return infinitely simpler.

When DH worked near the Sam's and we drove in together, I tended to shop more at Sam's, now I do most of the shopping at Costco which is closer to home. Also usually get gas there for 5-25 cents less/gal. I'm probably at about 90%/10% Costco/Sams now.

I have the executive membership and the Costco Amex card so they send me checks twice a year on all my purchases. Nice. And probably negates all the differences in prices between the stores.

Since they do carry some different items, I keep a list of things I get at each one. Like pork is cheaper at Sam's but I like Costco's hamburger more. Produce is always better quality at Costco. And with the roast chickens - Costco's are usually bigger birds (and maybe 50 cents more). And Sam's carries the coffee syrups I like, but Costco sells milk way cheaper. Big things of pasta for church suppers - Sams.

Disclosure: I own shares of Costco.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us