The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/can-i-ask-what-bothered-you-about-it-do-you-have-30302138.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Line (movie) Date:  10/5/2012  11:25 AM
Author:  RayKinsella Number:  183295 of 196368

Can I ask what bothered you about it?
Do you have a suggestion of a better example to use of a near-universally condemned action that wouldn't be offensive? I'm open to suggestion.

Rape is a terrible crime. We had it thrown about like a ball, and everyone was trying to score points in the big argument. Then there was a serious point to be made about the bible condoning rape(!).

I really wouldn't want to spend time with someone who isn't bothered by a lot of rape talk. Its a close personal issue as I am close to people who've been a victim of this horrible crime. I'm not alone, either. I'm sure the boards are full of people who have had to survive it. It isn't a fun thing to discuss. You all have the right to take any thread or argument in any direction you want, but I respectfully chose to bow out and not participate.

That thread (even beyond all the rape discussion), when I hit the ignore button, had digressed into a level of rudeness that until recently we've been able to largely avoid on this board. I just had to hide the thread and a few new posters (on both sides of the faith issue) and the board came back to civility very quickly.
Fewer posts, but more compelling discussion.
Ray
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us