The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/congrats-wolf-always-keep-challenging-yourself-i-30303092.aspx

Subject:  Re: Toastmasters and me Date:  10/5/2012  6:17 PM
Author:  AOLFoolman100 Number:  647227 of 734825

Congrats wolf. Always keep challenging yourself. I was shy when I was young but in high school I joined academic decathlon. 10 subjects to study, 2 of which were speech and interview. Speech consisted of a prepared one and an impromptu speech. Improptu was always very difficult since you were given a random topic, given one minute to prep, then give a 3-5 minute speech. We met before school and practiced every morning. It really made me much more verbally fluent, more confident, and quicker on my feet. I actually medaled - first place - in regional competition in the interview category, which shocked me at the time. And since then in college and in the workplace, I've always been told that I interview very well and give very good presentations. Always been told I got a very easy going natural speaking style and delivery. And I really attribute to all those mornings practicing in my junior and senior years in high school. Toastmaster would be great in that way.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us