The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/31-of-americans-without-health-insurance-live-in-30303377.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rationing Health Care => You bet Date:  10/5/2012  9:51 PM
Author:  hrse Number:  647284 of 737075

31% of Americans without health insurance live in households making $50k or more, and 38% are between 18-34 years old

You realize that they are not the same thirty some percent.

Who cares how much you make, if you have a pre-existing condition, you can't get health insurance.

Who cares how young you are, if you are only making 20k a year, you can't afford health insurance.

Throwing numbers around about how many people are uninsured may create the impression that the uninsured cannot get medical treatment, when it fact they can get medical treatment at any hospital emergency room.

ERs don't administer post-operative PT.
ERs don't provide kidney dialysis unless you are near death.
ER doctors won't answer the phone when Medco calls them asking for justification for the drug you prescribed. (I ran into this one, I had to have an sick visit with my primary because Medco would not pre-authorize the medicine the ER doctor prescribed.)

Do ERs provide vaccinations? maybe.

Finally for a group that has as its underlying premise is to route out waste, why for the love of FSM do you encourage people to go to the ER instead of a doctor?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us