The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/newbie-to-this-retirement-board-30304241.aspx

Subject:  Newbie to this Retirement Board Date:  10/6/2012  2:28 PM
Author:  shirehobbit Number:  1421 of 1491

Here's my backstory:

As a single wage earner living in the San Francisco Bay Area there is no way I'm going to be able to afford to retire early on my mere pittance of a salary. I'm turning 56 this month; my goal is to retire from my full-time job when I'm 66 and four months (because of when Soc. Sec. kicks in for people my age). I don't want to have to work a part-time job after retirement in order to pay for my medical expenses -- I live with chronic diseases and conditions - but time will tell.

I spent most of my adult life living with credit card debt. I've been debt free since October 2007, but have only now realized that I need to work on building my retirement nest egg if I am to be able to retire one year. My parents were both able to quit their full-time jobs when they were 55, but that was because they made wise financial choices throughout their lives (my dad - a retired banker - is still living and he still does to this day).

I have a 401(k) in which my employer does not match employee contributions, but does offer profit sharing (if the company has determined that it had a profitable year). On the advice of some of the members from the CCCD board I stopped contributing to the account (it is still active though) and opened up a ROTH IRA through my credit union. I was just informed by my credit union that they are going to start charging a $12.00 annual fee (because the ROTH IRAs are through an outside company) at the end of this month. I'm glad the fee isn't higher.

I am hoping to find sound advice and good tips from this board. And maybe some tough love when needed.

Cheers,

Shire
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us