The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-own-the-529-plan-a-gift-to-the-529-plan-is-a-30304569.aspx

Subject:  Re: Gift to 529 plan Date:  10/6/2012  7:03 PM
Author:  wrjohnston91283 Number:  116753 of 121061

You own the 529 plan. A gift to the 529 plan is a gift to you, NOT your son. Owners can always withdraw funds from a plan.

If the gift is to your son, then you would need to open another 529 plan account in which your son was both the owner and the beneficiary.

Putting your son's assets into your 529 plan is converting his assets.

I looked into this some more. Fidelity had two options when I opened the account. Individual or custodial. They point out that individual is "This is the most common type of 529 plan account. It enables an individual to save for qualified higher education expenses for a designated beneficiary." I picked this one based on the description. Instead I should have picked custodial.

I'll open a new account as a custodial account.

Regarding depositing into the account, I haven't spoken to anyone there; but I'm basing it off of what I found on the website. Now knowing that it needed to be the custodial account, I'm much more comfortable having my parents write the checks to fidelity and me mailing them in with a deposit form for HIS account. My concern was them writing checks that get deposited into MY 529 for his benefit.

Thanks
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us