The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gingko100-ltltit-just-takes-some-hustle-and-30304878.aspx

Subject:  Re: "Agent economy" of part-timers Date:  10/7/2012  1:31 AM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  405452 of 536512

Gingko100: <<It just takes some hustle, and it takes being really really organized. Anyone can do it - it isn't rocket science.>>

I agree. It further takes a little moxie and a lot of confidence in your abiities and yourself. I was downsized out of a large international corporation. Fortunately, through the years, I had built up a large network of potential clients, including competing companies. When, after losing my position (I was bought out), I started my own company immediately, and my first client was the company which downsized me. Yes, during the recession, I was not was rolling in "dough", but like you, I had a nestegg (along with SS) to carry me through. Now, business has picked up considerably, but I am ready for a downturn, if and when it occurs. I LOVE what I do.

Like you, I have a SEP, and am saving 25% of my pay (SubS Corp). Since I work parttime, due to my desire to travel and goofoff, I bring in about 25% of my original salary in 1999. But, I am comfortable, my company pays my Medigap, I have LTC insurance.

Donna (very grateful)
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us