The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thank-you-for-posting-that-link-josh-even-if-i-30305153.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is Peter the Rock on which Jesus Built his C Date:  10/7/2012  11:10 AM
Author:  Mark12547 Number:  183312 of 196071

Thank you for posting that link, Josh.

Even if I were swayed by the argument that Peter was the rock upon which Jesus built His church (I still believe that it was Peter's faith, and that Peter was called The Rock to emphasize Peter's example of faith), there are additional questions in my mind:

1. Where in the scriptures was it established that, even if Peter was the first Pope, that the second and subsequent Popes would be descended from Peter?

2. Where did the papal infallibility come from since in scriptures Paul mentioned having to correct Peter. (Galatians 2:11-14)

3. From reading Galatians 2:7-10, it appears to me that if there is a Pope to the gentiles, it would be Paul, not Peter, since Paul was the apostle to the gentiles and Peter the apostle to the circumcised. And even Peter referred to Paul's writings as part of scriptures (2 Peter 3:15-16). Wouldn't that weaken the argument that Peter is the rock on which Jesus built His church and instead strengthen the argument that it is the faith in Jesus on which the Church is built?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us