The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Major League Baseball

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-his-part-chipper-bore-the-burden-of-the-game-30305213.aspx

Subject:  Re: Good Luck Bravos Date:  10/7/2012  11:50 AM
Author:  chkNYC Number:  47819 of 52475

For his part, Chipper bore the burden of the game on his shoulders

As I said in my earlier post, he went out as the gentleman that he is.

According to the radio explanation, the umpire (never been called from the outfield before that I know of) has only to believe that an infielder could reasonably be expected to make the catch.

The call was made by the left field umpire who I believe isn't there during the regular season. Why it took him so long to make the call (which I agree with you was the wrong one) is unknown.

...the guy was complaining that other fans wouldn't stop throwing bottles onto the field. Unbelievable.

On a radio show yesterday, I heard an Atlanta fan say that she thought that the initial throwing of debris was OK as it was to show the fans' total disbelief at the call. But apparently there were then announcements at the park saying that if the fans kept throwing debris onto the field, the Braves would have to forfeit the game. And yet, the debris kept coming, according to her.

Christina, sorry to see Chipper's last game be such a poor one for him (and the Braves)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us