The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ok-that-was-disturbing-30305338.aspx

Subject:  OK, that was disturbing Date:  10/7/2012  1:30 PM
Author:  joikim Number:  54584 of 55988

Before I had heard about the arsenic in rice story, I had bought a brand new national brand of brown rice. Today, I planned on making a dish in which I traditionally use rice. I had already decided to substitute bulghar or cous cous but went to throw away the rice since I was thinking about it. I had already opened the bag and cooked some last month. I had stored my bag of rice inside a large plastic screw top old rice container of my usual brand, just twisting down the open end of the bag so it was fairly sealed. I had rinsed and dried the container before storing the bag. So, I went to open the container today, and out flew several small moths - probably 5 to 6. I was really surprised, to say the least, but I managed to kill them all as they were pretty sluggish and flying poorly. And then I realized that they must have been IN the bag of rice we had eaten in their larval form. EEEWWWWW! I had never bought this brand before but they had been out of my usual brand. Now I'm doubly against eating any rice, at least for a while.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us