The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Teachers

Subject:  Code for America Date:  10/7/2012  2:49 PM
Author:  PuddinHead42 Number:  9792 of 9952

So, in line with my recent posts on the future of textbooks (e.g. iPads and interactive multimedia devices), I just made a follow up post and about 30 seconds later this story comes on CNN about "Code for America". It points out how us have changed the world over the last 20 years, but they have not really changed government. But now that is starting to change.

Here is the webpage tag line...

CfA is working to change the way cities work through technology and public service. You can give a year, a few months, or just a few minutes, but you can make a difference.

they call it a Peace Core for Local Gov.

Geeks from the public and places like Google are donating their time to make local governments more efficient. (This was one of my arguments for the price of textbooks coming down or going to zero once they become electronic).

Example 1: Detroit has people drive around and survey communities, that data is then sent of to and expert or company somewhere for compilation into reports and databases. So code for America came up with an app called "LocalData" that any non-technical person could interact with. They can define their surveys and then the people collecting data input it directly into the app. Now data crunching and reporting and overlaying with maps that took 9 months (and $$$), now takes 2 days.

Chicago gov Rahm Emanuel wants to create an open and transparent government. He wants a "customer relationship management" model like FedEx. If you find a pothole and report it on the app/website, it then creates a tracking history that you or anyone can follow. Has it been verified, has it been schedule, has it been filled? Etc. I imagine you can sign up for e-mail or text alerts like at FedEx.

My sidenote:
This is the kind of paradigm shift t