The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  HSA tax forms Date:  10/7/2012  4:35 PM
Author:  Pushkinator Number:  116758 of 127549

I have received a notice from the IRS regarding my 2010 taxes and I am trying to determine where I went wrong. Any insight is appreciated.

I received 1099-SA from my HSA bank. Box 1 is $2,625.17 and box 3 distribution code is 1. The IRS notice I received says that I failed to report $2,625.17 in income.

I did not receive a direct distribution from my HSA in 2010 (or any year). That actually is the amount spent on health care in 2010. Since the account is on Quicken I can print the report from that year to show my 2010 expenditures were $2,625.17.

I know those expenditures should not be taxable, but I cannot determine where is the mistake. Did the bank send the wrong form or the wrong distribution code? I switched banks in 2011 and I noticed the new bank sent a form 5498-SA, which does not reference distributions.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us