The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-means-30305989.aspx

Subject:  My means... Date:  10/7/2012  11:42 PM
Author:  malaoshi Number:  867864 of 883928

just improved.

Many of you know I am retired, not on a very tight budget, but miss my teaching...

A friend recommended me for tutoring, and I got a very nice call from the would-be tutee's husband.

I explained that I always give a free hour's meeting first, to find out what the student needs and wants, and to see if the student will feel comfortable with me. I always explain the potential student will have NO obligation to hire me as a tutor, and I will be glad to recommend different colleagues if I think one of them will be a better match....

We set up the first meeting. The husband sat in on the whole hour ( a first for me) but I found the wife bright, receptive and enthusiastic.

They wanted 5 hours a week.

I cannot do that much ( family obligations) but was thrilled to offer 3 hours. I'd been expecting one hour's work.

So we had the first REAL lesson Friday. Imagine my amazement when I found in the envelope not only the payment for the first real lesson, but payment for the freebie too! I had verbally declined that payment 3 times on the day itself, but they smuggled it into the week's fee. Very generous of them, and a first for me....

Besides the fun of teaching again, my means for gift-giving, for my grandkids, my favorite charities (and also a manicure now and then) just increased like crazy. 12 hours a month? Woohoo! My DH has never, ever grudged me a penny, but I love earning something.

For any of you who have a credential, and an hour or two a week to spare, don't forget that tutoring can be a great way to save for special treats.

Big Momma
Feeling rich.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us