The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-that-is-gross-and-disturbing-i-opened-a-30306306.aspx

Subject:  Re: OK, that was disturbing Date:  10/8/2012  9:19 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  54592 of 55993

yes, that is gross and disturbing. I opened a brand new bag of all-purpose flour (when I ate gluten) and found what my family calls a 'flour bug' in it--near the flaps, so I suspect it entered from the outside of the package while on the store shelf.

I once say a mouse (or some type of rodent) scamper across the produce aisle with a walnut from the bulk nut section section and run out the side door. I stopped buying bulk nuts at that point.

I found a moth in an opened bag of unpopped popcorn kernels this year. I imagine I hadn't sealed it quite enough and it got in. I now keep my opened bags of popcorn kernels in the freezer (didn't know about it killing off larvae though--I put it there because I figured the sealed freezer door would keep out any unwanted visitors).

Oats are another place I found some 'guests'. That was really gross too.

I guess the only consolation is that most of these items are well-heated in preparation--either baked or boiled--and that should kill off anything unwanted.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us