The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/trip-report-part-i-30306807.aspx

Subject:  Trip report Part I Date:  10/8/2012  1:18 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  18953 of 22343

We used United miles for one ticket to Prague and purchased the other. Shortly before leaving, we shelled out another $400 to upgrade to Economy Plus on the long segments, ORD to PRA and back. It was a very good investment -- even though we're not terribly tall (almost 5'11" and 5'9"), as you know the seats back in steerage barely afford room for the knees. For shorter hops, like PDX to ORD, it's not a big deal.

We got the best-ever aerial views of the WA mountains after takeoff. See link to photos below. At ORD we noted a restaurant by chef Rick Bayless. He had a TV series Mexico: One Plate at a Time which is still rerunning and which we record and watch. While we knew his main restaurant is in Chicago, we were surprised to see a branch at the airport.

We arrived in Prague with the first three nights reserved as well as the last night of the trip. We still weren't sure where we wanted to go after Prague and thus kept our itinerary open.

Prague is everything it's cracked up to be, a beautiful city. It helps that it suffered little or no destruction in WW2. Besides wandering around aimlessly and soaking up the sights of random lovely old buildings, we also included the tourist highlights. With the not-too-bad but still significant crowding we experienced in mid-September, I don't even want to think about what it's like in July and August -- the Charles Bridge must be impassable. The guide book (Lonely Planet) said that the hourly show put on by the popular astronomical clock in the